Cotoneaster bonsai, restyling after disaster

[n.b. this was fully wired three months later, which you can see here]

August 2020

March 2020

A new beginning for a Cotoneaster horizontalis that I once had a very different plans for.  One thing I have learnt about this species, is that it doesn't compartmentalise well, this big cuts and work I did on this plant after collecting led to a slow decline of many of the branches, which slowly lost vigor and died one by one. This was a sad way of learning, but now I'm well on track to a new styling. the primary structure is in place and in five years or so this will (with a little luck) be a beautiful bonsai again.

April 2016, time for a rethink... back into development 

December 2011, in refinement, or so I thought. Even then there was some weakness and lack of vigor on the left side of the tree


September 2008, 8 months after collecting (this is a very old Cotoneaster and I still remember my excitement to work with it)

You can read more about this bonsai here

Comments

Popular Posts