Larch bonsai, 11 year progression

If I knew then what I know now....
I could have developed this larch in a fraction of the time, but I've learnt a lot in the process and enjoyed the journey with this Larix kaempferi
I expect to develop lots more fine ramification to the branches in the next few years, but I also will need to graft or layer better roots, as I lost some key structure and caused some ugly callousing on the surface roots a couple of years ago and now they are rather coarse and ugly.

2020, planted in a Stone Monkey pot


2016, unkempt but developing well in a slightly oversized China Mist pot, note the better nebari as compared with now

2011, slow but steady progress

2009, one year out of the growing field, in process of layering better roots



Comments

  1. 11 year progression and no nebari? How so? Do larches never develop good nebaris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they can have better surface roots than this, if handled right, but it's certainly tricky. I did layer new roots early on and could graft in to improve the flare and distribution.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts